14 May 2014

Gibraltar, Gibraltar

Hello Folks! Now that the Grand Voyages are over I'm finding I have some free time once again in which to edit photos! The list has piled up - so I think I'll just do random posts at this point. 

Gibraltar is truly an amazing place to visit. I've had the pleasure of being able to explore the rock twice now. The landscape of Gibraltar is incredible, it literally just juts out of the sea at the end of a little peninsula. The rest of the spanish landscape is relatively flat in comparison. The rock itself is about 430m above sea level and there are a number of ways to venture to the top. Cable car, taxi, or my favourite... hiking! 

There is a pathway to the top called the Mediterranean Steps - not sure how many steps there are, but it's definitely steep and quite the challenge. Brett (location guide) and I have hiked the steps twice now. As if it wasn't challenging enough the first time, when we hiked it the second time we put about 20-30 lbs of rocks in our backpacks for an extra challenge. 

Here are a few photos from my two days in Gibraltar. The summit is home to Barbary Apes and a number of seagulls who make their nests in the cliffs of the rock. 


East side of the rock and the Spanish landscape to the North

Tunnel to the Mediterranean Steps

Mr. Ape - giving me the eye 

Ape looking for insects - Snack time anyone? 


Seagull - ;) 

The Apes sleep in the weirdest positions. Hope he doesn't fall backwards!

View to the South - Coast of Africa is in the centre of the photo

View to the North - the runway is basically the border between Spain and Gibraltar


I spotted a cave above the road on the way down and of course we had to find out if it was just a cave or a tunnel left over from WWII - problem was our legs were so shaky from the hike up that it made scaling the rock quite a challenge. I took one step on the rock and my legs couldn't hold me so then Brett tried - made it most of the way up but didn't want to fall so he came back down. I had rested for a few mins and decided to make a second attempt - this time I got all the way up! It was only a cave :( 
Getting down was quite the challenge. But I made it, and didn't fall lol 

Brett 
Myself 

MADE IT!! - barely made it down lol 

Dr. Seuss built this fence... 

Some of the flora on the Rock 

Mr. Ron Perlman - Hell Boy 

Barbary Ape 

Barbary Ape

Barbary Ape

Hijacking the Taxi

Beware of Apes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment