01 May 2013

Cartagena, Columbia and the Jungle!

After crossing the Panama Canal and visiting the San Blas Islands our first stop was Cartagena Columbia. Michael Langley, the Cruise Director, and I made plans to get off the ship and go for a short stroll into town. We had barely made it off the pier when we were immediately greeted with Columbian wildlife. We walked past a little garden area that had what looked like those plastic flamingo lawn ornaments until I realized one of them moved!! I squealed in delight and couldn't believe that they were real. I think Michael was laughing at how excited I was. They really do stand on one leg!!

Columbian Jungle!! Lizards, Monkeys, Toucans, and Flamingos 
 Moving on through the jungle we saw a monkey and parrots in the trees. While we were talking to a couple of guests we both ducked as something almost flew into us. We spun around and there was a Toucan sitting on the handrail behind us! They really do look very odd. I was able to get a decent shot of him (or her?)

Michael (The Cruise Director) and I in the Jungle 
The guests kindly took our photo and we returned the favour. Also in this terminal/jungle area were parrots wandering around on the grounds. We were able to get quite close to a couple of them.

Parrot  

Parrot Tree House 
They even had their own tree houses!! Complete w ladders to climb up into them!

Columbian Fortress in the Old Town of Cartagena
The town turned out to be a taxi ride away and we decided to spilt the fare and see a little bit of the town. Our driver stopped at the old fortress of Cartagena and allowed us to get out and snap a couple pics.


Terrace in the middle of Old Town
When we arrived in the middle of downtown we decided the best thing we could do with our time was to sit in the middle of the square in the sun and have a nice cold drink :)

Michael Langley 

Columbians in Festive Dress 

We did some shopping afterwards and I bought some authentic Columbian Coffee! The girl who sold it to me told me that she drinks this brand herself. So I'm anxious to get home and share it with my dad!
As we were leaving to get back to our taxi driver, we saw some youngsters all dressed up in what looked like native clothing. Very bright and colourful, wish we could have stayed to see what they did. All in all Columbia was a wonderful gem of a place. I would definitely go back to Cartagena. Up next, Jamaica!!


No comments:

Post a Comment