07 April 2013

Punta Arenas, Chile - The Photos

Today I was able to walk around for a lot longer than yesterday. The sun was shining and it wasn't too cold. I was able to see a lot of the town and captured a few lovely pictures.
Punta Arenas, Chile and the Strait of Magellan 
 Something I love taking photos of in different countries are local or family crests. I usually find them at the bases of statues or on the sides of brick/stone buildings. I found this one in the square across from my hotel :)
Crest on the base of a random Statue 
 When I walked to the top of the hill in the town I found these telephone poles pointing the directions and distances to major cities across the globe. I found it interesting that all the signs were pointing in basically only two directions, NE and NW, that's how far south I was!!
Direction Signs to Major Cities in the World... and a pair of shoes

Close up of Signs

Punta Arenas and a view towards the South Pole
 Being a HUGE Banksy fan (London political graffiti artist and local hoodlum) I love to find interesting works of art in and around the cities I visit. Yes, I do believe graffiti is an art, one I happen to adore. Sometimes graffiti is just 'meaningless' scribbles on a facade, but every so often you'll find a piece of work that carries a strong message. I especially love the Guy Fawkes tribute in the bottom right corner.
Graffiti, Punta Arenas
My hotel was right downtown in Punta Arenas and happened to face a lovely square which housed this statue to Ferdinand Magellan. Punta Arenas itself is on the coast of the Strait of Magellan and you'll find many references to his name and legacy around the town.
Statue of Ferdinand Magellan
 One last pretty picture :)
Port of Punta Arenas
Well that's it! Punta Arenas was a cute, quaint town but I'm happy to now be in Puerto Montt which looks considerably bigger! Can't wait to see what the daylight brings. Good night! 

No comments:

Post a Comment